Wednesday, January 24, 2007

This is the way it is at our house


I'm not the first, nor will I be the last to point out how things change between the first baby and the third. Standards tend to get a little haphazard, and all that sterilizing and measuring is a thing of the past. (I remember one day we changed Emma's diapers 26 times, we were so crazed with worry that she might be a little damp.) Now that we've got a dog, things have just gotten more confused, and I've taken to calling James "Yin". Well, my sister sent me this cartoon on my last birthday, and I thought it was so accurate I wanted to save it. But little pieces of paper don't have a long life in my house, so I'm putting it on the blog to preserve it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

Yeah - I'm a third child. Being last STINKS! Do you have any idea how many pictures I've seen of The Big Seester doing anything, everything and nothing? Going through family slides is practically a Kasia-free zone! :-p

3:16 pm  
Blogger Kasia said...

Oh - and I forgot to mention, I have often been called by the names of my sisters, my stepsisters, and the dog. So James is not alone. :-p

3:17 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

This morning was worse than usual. I wanted James to get dressed, so I said, "OK, Yin...Emma...Thomas...JAMES!" But that was pre-coffee.

9:48 am  
Blogger Ellie M said...

It's worse when one person in the house shares a first initial with the dog, as is the case with us.

"Hi Rover... I mean Ron.. could you feed Ron... I mean Rover..."

11:00 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

At least you don't have TWO dogs with similar names. James Thurber wrote an essay on that once, deploring people who give their dogs "matching" names like Ups and Daisy, Fitz and Startz, Hi and Lois, or (as in our case) Yin and Yang, which has indeed been suggested to us.

10:08 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home