Monday, January 22, 2007

The last of the winter marmalades

I made one more batch of marmalade today, my last for the season, I think. I saw some Meyer Lemons in the grocery store a few days ago; I'd never heard of them, they're said to be a cross between an orange and a lemon. I found a recipe for Meyer Lemon Marmalade at Wait-And-See Pudding, and tried it out today. It turned out BEAUTIFULLY! Attached is a picture - it looks just like the Kumquat Marmalade I made a few months ago, only that didn't set and this one worked perfectly. It has a delightfully sharp, tangy zing to it - very refreshing.

I also made the Blood Orange Marmalade I'd been talking about, and it also turned out very beautiful, only a bit sweet for my taste. Dean likes it, though. It's a lovely ruby colour. I discovered an interesting thing; when you cook blood orange peel, the red colour leaches out of it, and it looks just like ordinary orange peel. So my original plan of making a marmalade with orange jelly and red peel wouldn't have worked out, anyway.

2 Comments:

Blogger puddingpop said...

Thanks for the link! Your blood orange marmalade is absolutely beautiful! I'd been thinking about giving it a try myself but hadn't yet. Well done! I had the same experience with the color leaching out of the peel when I made candied blood orange peel some time ago. It did retain a bit of color, just not as much as I'd hoped.

9:32 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Well, if you find a good recipe for blood orange marmalade, be sure to post it! I used a regular marmalade recipe, and I don't think it took into account the fact the sweetness of the fruit, so it ended up being a little too sweet for me. However, now that it's set for a week, the flavour has developed nicely, and I've noticed a slight raspberry taste - the last time I was at the grocery store, I saw that they called blood oranges "raspberry oranges", and now I can see why.

7:22 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home