Tuesday, November 21, 2006

This day in history

Well, not THIS day, but my birthday. Kasia at The Clam Rampant tagged me for a Wikipedia quest - the first time I've ever done this. So, this is what I turned up for my birthday date:

THREE EVENTS

1) 1572 - The wedding in Paris of Henry of Navarre (Henri IV) and Marguerite de Valois. This was meant to defuse the whole Catholic-Protestant thing that was simmering in France, but it didn't last too long - the defusing, that is. The St. Bartholomew Day massacre of Huguenots occurred 6 days later. Actually, the marriage didn't last too long, either; they were divorced in 1599
2) 1877 - Asaph Hall discovers Martian moon Phobos - I just like the name
3) 1938 - President Roosevelt opens the Thousand Island Bridge, linking Canada with upper New York State - earning the thanks of many generations of Canadian shoppers who cross to the U.S. for cheap smokes, gas and groceries.

TWO BIRTHS

1) 1587 - Virginia Dare, first English child born in North America. Unfortuntely, she died the next year.
2) 1830 - Emperor Franz Josef of Austria - I'm reading 'The Last Days of Imperial Vienna' right now

ONE DEATH

I was interested to discover that 3 popes died on this day, but as I'm restricted to just one death, I'll choose...

1227 - Genghis Khan

ONE HOLIDAY/OBSERVANCE

Not much to choose from. This is the day of Saint Helena of Constantinople in the Roman calendar.

Here are the rules:

1) Go to Wikipedia
2) In the search box, type your birth month and day but not the year.
3) List three events that happened on your birthday
4) List two important birthdays and one death
5) One holiday or observance (if any)

And now I, in turn, nominate Nasty, Brutish and Short to give it a go.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nasty, Brutish & Short said...

Oh, I'm not good at this kind of thing! I was always the one who failed to get the chain letters in the mail in time. Will have see what Wikipedia says. I hope someone deserving met their end on my birthday.

10:28 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home