Monday, November 27, 2006

Plum Puddings V


Finished! The smallest one came out a little lopsided - I think it tipped a little in the pot, so it stands at an angle. We'll probably keep that one for ourselves. The others look great, though - dark brown, almost black, and they appear moist yet solid.

Oh, I discovered a funny thing. Yesterday was what the English call "Stir-Up Sunday", that last Sunday before Advent. The name comes from the Collect for the Day in the 1549 Prayer Book:
Stir-up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Anyway, it is traditional on or around this day to make Christmas puddings, so I inadvertently maintained an old tradition by making mine today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ellie M said...

LOL! And here I was assuming that you were deliberately following that old tradition! I always liked it, even though I don't make puddings. It was a nice connection to our English heritage...

That prayer was still used the Sunday before Advent in the Canadian church until about 10 years ago, when The Powers That Be decided to dispense with it in their typically high-handed fashion. If we reasserters ever get a church of our own, I'd like to see Stir Up Sunday reinstated!

7:29 pm  
Blogger Carden Cascade Blog said...

Our church, the Reformed Episcopal Church, still uses that collect. I have always made my christmas cake (rather than pudding) on "Stirring up Sunday". For the past 4 years my daughter has been living in Switzerland, so I have made smaller and smaller cakes.(trying to retain what's left of my girlish figure) This September she moved back to the US and so this year my christmas cake will be a bit larger.
My mother was french, so growing up we had different kinds cakes for Christmas. After my husband died, my daughter and I moved to
England. I absolutely fell in love with English fruit cake. I never liked the American variety. But the English cakes are heaven. All that marzipan, yum.

9:13 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home