Monday, November 27, 2006

Plum Puddings II



This is the tiresome part. The recipe calls for 1.5 cups of currants, soaked and plumped, and 1.5 cups of raisins, soaked and then chopped. I was a little short on currants, so I added more raisins, but now I have to cut up even more of them. I guess it's to keep everything the same size for cooking, but it takes forever. By the way, the currants are sitting in my new collapsible silicon strainer. I am replacing everything I possibly can in my kitchen with silicon, and this is fantastic, because it just flattens down like one of those joke tophats that collapses flat. The measuring cups are made the same way, and I wish I had a second set of them, because they wash up so easily and take so little space.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ellie M said...

Are there any PLUMS in plum pudding?! Just askin'...

8:01 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Actually, no. But it's an old, old recipe, and I suppose some hundred years ago, somebody MAY have put plums in it, among other things. Just like mincemeat nowadays doesn't even have to contain meat anymore, though originally it did. It's rather like a softer version of a Christmas cake.

8:52 pm  
Blogger Kasia said...

I wondered the same thing...

I also wondered: If you got a second set of the collapsible measuring cups, would they take up as much room as a regular set?

8:56 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Wellll...I guess if I got enough measuring cups, even collapsible ones, eventually I'd end up using more space than if I'd just kept the original plastic ones.

But these are silicon! And they're so cool! You just can't have too much silicon in your kitchen, that's what I always say. And they're so easy to use - popping open when you need them, and snapping flat when you don't - it makes you want to cook even more. So I think I really NEED more collapsible measuring cups, it isn't just my collector's mania starting up again.

9:37 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home