Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The mouse wars

I finally cracked, and bought a humane mousetrap. I couldn't stand setting those old-fashioned traditional snap traps, and having to deal with a corpse in the morning. I only caught 4 mice that way - well, one escaped minus his tail, as I already described, but I still CAUGHT him. I just didn't want to do it anymore. So we now have a Ketch-all trap, which I know works very well, because we had one once, long ago, when we lived downtown. I set it up last night, and we caught 3 mice. BUT...one got his TAIL jammed in the mechanism! We must have the stupidest mice in the world; how could 2 of them manage to get into tail trouble? I thought we'd caught 2 live ones and a dead one, but it turned out the third one was just passed out. When we took them down to the river to release them, I noticed the protruding tail, which started to thrash, and then I had to figure out how to get the silly thing out of the trap. I finally got a stick and advanced the spring mechanism by another turn, and it somehow slipped out, and dropped out onto the ground. The other 2 sprang away, but I thought this one was dead, until Emma, with great excitement, noticed it twitching. So maybe it will recover from the shock and survive - I just want them out of my house, what they do after that is their business. We'll set the trap again this evening.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

Poor li'l thing. Not that I wanted it to run amok in your home, mind you, but still. I'm enough of a softy to be glad you switched to the humane trap. I hope any remaining mice are more careful with their tails...

...of course, at the very least, the one who previously had his tail severed will not have any excuse for getting his tail caught AGAIN...

12:50 pm  
Blogger Mark Windsor said...

Mice?!? PAH! Wait till the raccoons attack!

I trapped four of them last year. They're cute and my kids want me to keep one as a pet, but they're also mean, they hiss, they spit, and they destroy everything in their path while waiting for animal control to come get the trap.

One of them was very clever. I had the blasted trap chained to a tree - chains, real chains, big ash tree - and he still managed to unhook the chain and drag the trap fourty feet to his would-be escape route - while still in the blasted trap! Luckily, he couldn't figure out how to climb a fence while still in the trap, and the trap wouldn't fit in the drain-pipe he used to get into the yard. He was captured.

Then there was the evening, while watching TV, when a squirrel's head poked down the chiminy. Before we could shut the flue, he was in the living room. There he met two of our cats. The rodent only survived thanks to some serious human/broom intervention. It was a stupendous chase! Our cats will be singing ballads about that night for generations to come...

Mice? Pah! I'll lend you a cat.

3:24 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Oh, I know that raccoons are clever little devils - they do come around every now and then, but they've never tried to get into the house or under the roof. That's a hilarious story, though, about that very determined raccoon making his escape IN the trap! I can just imagine him very confidently figuring that he'd figure out what to do about the trap later, but for now, he just had to get out of the yard one way or another.

5:33 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home