Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Putting the garden to bed

Fall has come, and it's time to clean up the garden. We had our first snow on the weekend - it didn't stay on the ground, but we could still watch it come down through the air. I still have a lot of leaves to rake up in the back, but I'll do them once the garden is bare, so I can shred them and dump them on the soil to break down and decompose on the spot (I already have a lot saved for the compost bin). The tomatoes are all pulled up, and all that's left in the New Garden is the kale and the swiss chard, which look a bit droopy but are still hanging on. Potatoes are all dug up in the Old Garden, and all that's left to do is cut down the raspberry canes - I bought another batch of garden bags, because those have to be picked up and taken to the dump for composting - I don't like putting prickly things into my own compost. The flowers are pretty much finished, but there are still a few roses hanging on on my Eglantyne rose bush at the back. I'll say farewell to this year's garden with a nice picture of the sun shining through the swiss chard:

5 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

The only thing left in our garden out west are carrots - which are still doing phenomenally well - thought I'll need to dig them up before the first really hard frost.

Going back to shop carrots is going to be a really hard thing - they're tastless in comparison (howe do they achieve such a complete lack of taste is beyond me).

We've had snow too, and the lying variety, but we're not quite into winter yet. Yet......

1:28 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

We had some carrots this year, and some good potatoes, but we did a terrible thing once we'd harvested them. We wanted to keep them in the cold cellar, so I got a wooden crate to store them in. Unfortunately, the crate must have once been used to store woolen blankets, because it had a smell of mothballs in it, and the mothball smell was absorbed by the carrots and potatoes! Dean doesn't seem to notice the taste/smell, but I can't stand it, so I won't be eating any of them.

2:38 pm  
Blogger Nasty, Brutish & Short said...

There you go again with all the gardening talk, Sappho. When will you be true to yourself?

6:16 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

NBS - Oh, it's true; my closet gets greener and leafier every day! Well, I still have my weight problem, so I haven't entirely blown my credentials as a member of the Sisterhood. Guess I'd better start polishing my silver jewellery.

7:21 am  
Blogger Kasia said...

Ah, but Doctor, have you been brushing up on your recorder skills? One cannot be a true member of the Sisterhood unless she plays the recorder...

3:48 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home