Friday, October 27, 2006

Mice!

Aarrrghh - we have mice. I knew they were in the garage (they come in there during the winter, and who can blame them? It's cold in Ottawa) but now they've made it into the house. I'm not a hard-hearted person, but I know mice; they're like liberals, you try to reach an accommodation, live and let live, but they just won't stop. Let them have a few crumbs on the floor, and soon you're starting each morning checking your coffee cup for droppings. So I reluctantly invested in the mouse traps, baited them with chocolate and put them out last night. Would you believe, the little buggers managed to get the chocolate and leave the traps unsprung!

I guess I could get more expensive traps, but I don't really want to deal with "reusable" ones, which entail prying mouse corpses from the jaws in order to reset them. We once had a humane trap, but those are expensive, and then you have to carry them off and release the mice, and it's getting cold for that sort of excursion. One thing I refuse to do use, though, is that sticky paper - I'll never forget seeing an entire family of mice, including babies, stuck on one, and another time the mouse was still ALIVE when we found it! Ugh.

So I guess I'll try again tonight, but this time I'll melt the chocolate and coat it on the metal thingy. I think my mistake was balancing a chunk of chocolate on it; they just managed to knock it off and went on to enjoy our bounty, leaving the trap untouched.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark Windsor said...

Give a mouse a cookie and he'll ask for a glass of milk.

8:02 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home