Saturday, September 16, 2006

Trying out the camera

Dean and I had our 20th wedding anniversary this summer! I gave him a new barbecue, and he gave me a digital camera; these are presents that both of us can benefit from, but it looks like I'm going to be the one doing all the photographing, just as he's the one who does all the barbecuing. I'm trying to figure out the camera, and thought I'd try uploading a few pictures. Getting the size right is a bit of a problem, but when I have time I'll read the whole manual properly and figure out how to scale down the pixels a bit - it's at the highest setting right now. Dean wants very high definition for when we photograph his maps, so I'm going to leave it like this for now, and just try to mess around with the pictures once they've been downloaded. It'll be easier when the camera is set to do everything from the start, though.


Here are some pictures of the beautiful Tricyrtis. I have 3 different varieties growing right now; this is the first one I ever planted, Tricyrtis Hirta. It's about 3 years old, and is about 4 ft. high now. It grows very upright, and the flowers just began opening last week; they'll continue until a hard frost. There's another variety very like this, but it has flowers without speckles, and it's not really as nice-looking, so when mine died, I didn't bother replacing it.


Next is Tricyrtis 'Gilt Edge'. You can see that the leaves have pale gold edges; the flowers are similar to the first one, but a bit brighter - more pink. This is the one that used to be in the backyard, but two years ago I planted it too close to a big hosta, and it ended up being completely smothered by it; I don't think it ever got the sun, and never had a flower. This spring I moved it to the front, and it's going wild! They spread by stolons, though they're said to be non-invasive. I think I might divide it in the spring and give a bit away.


Right beside it, close to the ground, is a new one I planted this year, with pale blond-green leaves. The flowers haven't opened yet, but they're also very pale; I think they like end up being light lavender. I'll have to wait until they open to see if they have spots. This one grows just the way Diane Benson described Tricyrtis:
All summer long a well-behaved clump of statuesque, arching stems grace the garden with a lithe Oriental effect. Pointed, ovular, dark green leaves clasp the stem in an out-pouring horizontol fashion difficult to describe, but great looking. In early September, senses are heightened when from the leaf axils on top of the stems, hundreds of little spotted flowers looking for all the world like orchids appear....Architectural, enchanting, and extremely reliable all at once--this plant is a treasure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home