Friday, September 01, 2006

Oh, the clematis again

I take back my previous harsh words about clematis. The new one I got 2 months ago came to life again, and has now grown up to about 14 inches tall; it even is sporting a new flower bud! Obviously it likes its location, and I thought it would be suitable, as the base is shaded by a big 'Striptease' hosta, which will just get bigger every year. As it seemed so happy there, I thought I'd take a chance and move that hopeless old clematis that's suffocating behind the rhubarb to a spot beside this other one - maybe they can grow together and bloom consecutively. It took a lot of digging to get the old one out - in 3 years it had developed a strong root system, and I had to break a few roots to get it out, but in the end I succeeded. It took the initial transplant pretty well, but it's been 2 weeks now, and the foliage is dying. One of the main stems partially broke when I moved it (they're so brittle). I think I'll just have to let it go, and hope that the root can settle in so it comes back in the spring. If it makes it through the winter, it should be quite happy in this new location, growing up a porch pillar at the front of the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home