Sunday, September 03, 2006

End of the summer

Thomas has discovered YouTube. It's not surprising that HE's the one to find out about it; he's got an uncanny aptitude for computers, and many times has somehow managed to fix things on the computer when Dean and I have given up. I think that, being autistic, when something goes wrong, he doesn't see it as "broken" the way we do - we tend to just shut our minds off at that point and figure it's time to call in an expert. He just thinks, "It's working in a different way," and follows this along until he works out a way of going around the problem. Before you know it, it's working again.

Anyway, I've seen YouTube, through links on other sites, but I had no idea it was as vast as it is. Thomas has found out that you can watch Disney movies on it - that surprises me a little, since Disney is notorious for protecting their properties, but maybe this is a temporary thing and they'll crack down on it eventually. Anyway, typically for Thomas, he's not using this opportunity to watch new movies - he just wants to watch the OLD ones we've already got on video. So it's been 'Beauty and the Beast' since Friday, and he's also discovered a lot of songs in different languages, which are just fascinating.

Meanwhile, school starts day after tomorrow, so I have to get all their stuff ironed and labelled (yes, names on clothes STILL!). James has his own way of demonstrating that he knows what's going on - he's taken to waking up every 2 hours at night. Last night it started at 11:00, and he wasn't finally asleep until 1:30 AM. Dean had to wake me up for mass this morning.

I wasn't the only one dragging, though. It wasn't a very big congregation, to begin with - people stayed home perhaps because it's raining, the dregs of Hurricane Ernesto, I suppose, though the wind is very cold. Usually we get warm, tropical winds when these hurricanes make it up here, but this time the wind is from the north. Anyway, we got to the end of the mass, and after communion everyone sits for a minute or so in quiet reflection before Father blesses us and dismisses us. This time, one minute stretched into two, three... Meanwhile, I was convinced I could smell something burning, so I kept looking around, trying to find a candle that might be guttering or worse still, setting the wall on fire, so I didn't notice just how long this silence was going on. I finally looked back to the sanctuary, and realized that Father had fallen asleep in his chair! After a good five minutes, it seemed that a LOT of people had to clear their throats, and he finally came out of his doze and everything continued as usual - I'm sure he didn't even realize that he'd fallen asleep. Never seen that before.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Ahaha! You're going to need an altar boy just to keep him on his toes.

4:29 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

If only they'd listened to us when we were requesting that bells be reintroduced, it never would have happened! All you'd need to do is accidentally knock over the bells from time to time, and no one would get any sleep.

11:12 am  
Blogger A superfluous man said...

My two oldest boys love youtube for the Pokemon videos. I have to be careful, it keeps them occupied for hours.

1:43 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

I'm going to see if there are any MST3K movies on there - there are so many I've never seen.

5:04 pm  
Blogger Christ Church WOC said...

What is MST3K?

11:50 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Mystery Science Theater 3000 - one of the funniest TV shows ever made. There are a number of websites devoted to it; here's a good FAQ to introduce you to it: http://www.mst3kinfo.com/mstfaq/index.html

The first one I ever saw was 'The Brain That Wouldn't Die', being played in a video store in Toronto. When I finally got the video and played it for Dean, he nearly suffocated laughing.

6:21 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home