Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Blogging is light

Because the computer is In The Shop, as we say here in Canada. Maybe they say it in the U.S. too, but it sounds English to me. I took it in to get a new cd-rom drive configured (I'd physically installed it, but the computer just wouldn't recognize it), and I was told it would take 36 hours. Five days later, I got it back, only to find that not only is the cd-rom drive still not functioning, somehow my dvd drive has also apparently disappeared from the list of hardware. So now I have nothing; oh, but the computer was cleaned, so the dust is gone. So back it goes today, and it better not take another 5 days to fix this. Meanwhile, I've had to resurrect our ancient Compaq, with Windows 98 on it, which leaves me able to read online but not much else. Hopefully this little contretemps will resolve itself soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Craig Goodrich said...

The trick is usually the little jumper on the back, Doc. If it's an EIDE drive -- as nearly all of them are -- you need to set the master/slave and cable select jumpers correctly. Then, on some machines, you have to tell the BIOS (boot ROM) to go look for the new drive.

The reason the DVD disappeared is probably that the novice techie jumpered the new drive incorrectly (putting it in conflict with the old one), and then told the BIOS to redetect -- and because of the conflict, it couldn't make any sense of the DVD drive, so it reported "nothing there" ...

Best, G'bless, may fields of wildflowers grow between your milk-white toes as you gracefully dip your quill into the alabaster well...

1:48 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Thanks, Craig - I'm sure it was a simple problem, but while I can handle a screwdriver and an electric saw without too much trouble, I'm at a loss when it comes to communicating with a computer. I paid a technician to handle it, and now it's working fine. I'm afraid I adhere to Hillaire Belloc's philosophy when it comes to fixing things I don't really understand:

Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light
Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right!
It is the business of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan.

5:45 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home