Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Braxton's Lear II

Oh man, I am spending WAY too much time following links to out-of-the-way blogs! This piece is a bit old, I admit, dating from Ms Schori's election in June, but it would be a pity for such a performance to be lost to posterity. It is rare that I come across a dramatic performance that actually provides its own stage directions!:

Grain by grain, the moments dripped by as the crowd inched closer to the edge of their seats. My mind was on nothing else - I hung on every word, waiting for two of them to be, "And now..."

"And now..." began the President of the House. We all suddenly realized that the time had come. A profound gravity took hold of the room as 3,000 anxious Episcopalians interrupted their breathing. The President introduced the Chair of the Committee on Bishops, who was responsible for verifying the results. The Chair walked slowly to the podium and greeted us, his transfixed captives. My jaw was already open.

"The committee has received the results of the election by the House of Bishops..."

History raised its eyebrow.

"...and moves consent for the 26th Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church..."

History turned its head.

"...the Right Reverend..."

History waited.

"...Katharine..."

Quite literally, a windy gasp rippled throughout the assembly. I looked at my friends sitting around me, both women, eyes bigger than their faces.

"...Jefferts Schori."

The deed was done. The entire chamber erupted into wild shouts of joy and roaring applause.

History smiled.


Exit, stage left.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark Windsor said...

How on earth do you find this stuff?!?

5:18 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

I don't know. It's both a blessing and a curse.

5:23 pm  
Blogger Ellie M said...

"History smiled."

No dear, that's just gas. ;)

5:29 pm  
Blogger Allen Lewis said...

Is this self-absorption or what? These identity-politic postings are mind-bogglingly numbing. How can people be so inward-looking and parochial?

Mercy!

10:02 pm  
Blogger Matthew said...

Where is the blog you had with your commentary added? I thought that was funny and I want to share it with my wife. Please don't look at my blog, it's really old, and I only hopped on to leave this question as a comment.

10:42 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Matthew: Maybe these two?:

The Passion of the Lady Novelist from Newark

Tears, Idle Tears

10:43 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home