Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Garden is set to go

The last things have been planted in the vegetable garden: today I put in 10 red and green pepper plants, and replaced a "Cupid" tomato that James had broken. I think this is it. Here is the total:

OLD GARDEN

Raspberries (everbearing and fall-bearing)
Blueberries
Currants
Rhubarb
Potatoes (white and blue)
Carrots (purple and orange)
Parsley
Lemon balm
Coriander & dill which seeded themselves from last year

NEW GARDEN

8 tomatoes
2 zucchini
3 cucumbers
1 canteloupe
4 hot peppers
10 red and green peppers
kale
swiss chard

There is also a rhubarb up by the shed, and another canteloupe growing among the irises. I planted this one because last year a canteloupe seeded itself there from the compost I'd spread on, and it did so well, I figured this is a particularly attractive spot for them. Last year's started too late in the season to ripen, but it did produce a number of canteloupes.

I've had bad luck with flower seeds this year; not one morning glory has come up, and only half the nasturtiums. I got so fed up waiting for the latter I actually bought a small flat of already-growing ones and planted them in one of the big pots by the garage.

It's a dull, grey day today; not cold, but damp and depressing. I'm not fooled by the Weather Network declaring that we're having "good" weather just because it's not raining. I'm almost in the mood for a fire in the fireplace to cheer the place up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

Google sent me here as I was searching for reasons my cantaloupes are rotting before ripening. I don't suppose you have an answer do you, lol. I too have a child on the autism spectrum and am holding my breath as the baby grows. Dietary intervention has done wonders for my oldest. He is gfcf and the difference is "night and day."

12:55 pm  
Blogger Deborah said...

P.S. my blogspot is deborahs31-13doings.

12:57 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home