Friday, June 02, 2006

Another week crawls to a close

It was a grumpy week for James. He started it by hitting and breaking a window when I refused to take him to the video store. Got a tiny little cut on his palm - serve him right, the little bastard - but was otherwise unharmed. Can't say the same for the window, which was sporting a stunning spider-web patter of breakage. Since the window is double-paned, he broke only the inner pane, so we still have a window, but it will have to be replaced before the winter. I had to take a hammer and break out the rest of the glass, without breaking the second pane - not easy! Even with a hammer, it's harder than you think to break glass, especially if you're trying to be careful. Well, the shock of the window breaking knocked him out of his sulk, though he was still muttering "Video store" when he was going to bed. I think he just couldn't believe that he'd thrown such a colossal tantrum and had still come up empty!

I got a phonecall from his teacher a few days later, saying that he was very irritable and short-tempered at school. Of course, I started apologizing at once, and she said, "Oh, don't worry, he doesn't hurt us! His idea of "hitting" is pretty gentle compared to some of the kids in the class. No, we're just concerned about him." I laughed and said, "Oh, I never worry about HIM! I always think that James is just indestructible; like duct tape and cockroaches, when the world comes to an end, he'll still be standing when all the rest of us have given up."

It wasn't all bad news, though. The very hot temperatures in the middle of the week suddenly produced some white roses on a bush that I hadn't even realized had buds yet. A lot of plants surged forward - the Baptisia australis even started blooming, and the tall irises have lots of big buds and should open next week. I got hanging fuschia baskets for the front porch, so that looks set now, and this year I'm trying some two-tone geraniums. For some reason, the morning glory hasn't sprouted yet; hopefully in another week I'll see some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home